Success is getting what you want; happiness is liking what you get

Tuesday 19 November 2013

Back at the Apple Orchard again

The trees in the orchard are covered in tiny little apples, so it looks like it will be a good harvest.  We are staying at a POP in Hastings, set in an apple orchard.  The Hastings district has a long history of a food producing region, and is commonly referred to as the 'Fruit Bowl of New Zealand'. The fertile plains surrounding the city have grow an abundance of stone fruit, vegetables, and more recently has become the base of New Zealand's red wine industry.

PB190009 The apple trees seem to go on forever

Our hosts Dick and Elly are very welcoming.and presented us with a big bag of walnuts and a lemon (that will help my sore throat) when we arrived yesterday.  Robin and I had quite a discussion about those walnuts.  When we return home I’m expected to bake some Afghan Biscuits topped with chocolate icing and a walnut, as well as a date and walnut loaf, and that’s just for starters.  This was followed up with an offer to pick ourselves some grapefruit -  which I did, I love grapefruit.  Then today Dick picked some rhubarb for us – that will get cooked up promptly.  It is very kind of them to share their produce with the campers.

PB190011 Goodies from the hosts

This POP has everything we need for a pleasant stay, power sites, water, an ablution block, and best of all, a washing machine.  It didn’t take me too long to get a big load of washing under way.

PB190010 This way….

We were intrigued to see a huge tree by the house all wrapped up in netting.  This is a cherry tree, and the netting is to keep those pesky birds from eating all the fruit.  Dick assured me the birds won’t be getting any cherries this year.

PB190004 Cherry tree under wraps

Now, about that sore throat.  I’ve had it a while, and it had been getting worse and worse.  I’ve been coughing and spluttering by day, and twice as bad by night, and my voice has almost given up the ghost.  So this morning we called into the local Health Care Centre to get checked out.  Although I am feeling rather grotty, it is nothing too serious.  No temperature, strep throat, or bronchitis, pneumonia, or anything like that.  So it is probably viral, or maybe caused by dust or pollen, and needs good old fashioned care, rest, plenty of fluids, lemon and honey drink, and “rest the voice” I was told.  The diagnosis is not too bad at all, so I’m obviously over the worst.  I’m pleased I got checked out, now we can continue on our trip in a happier state of mind.  Now, if only that darn cough would disappear so I can get a decent night’s sleep.

No comments: