Success is getting what you want; happiness is liking what you get

Friday 15 October 2010

Count Down Completed

I’ve been counting down to this day for ages. Today was my last day at work. When you think that I started work at 15, that makes 50 years of earning my keep! (With just a small amount of time off while I had two babies, then back to work quick-smart. That was the only way we could get ahead and buy a house). After paying all those taxes over the years, I reckon I really deserve to retire. There was food galore for the celebration morning tea, so we had plenty to nibble on.
DSCF4406 A nice selection of morning tea goodies
My friend Gloria presented me with a beautiful bunch of pink roses, and she told me she hoped she wouldn’t cry. I’ll probably be the one to cry, I thought to myself.
DSCF4407 Gloria gave me these lovely roses
Janine the Team Leader then gave a little speech about my time in this organisation and the good work I had done. After 8 years here I had certainly seen a lot of changes happen in the workplace. I was presented with a card from everyone wishing me well, and a voucher to spend at my favourite quilting shop.
DSCF4409 Speech from the Team Leader
As I am a “temp” I am employed by the agency which has the contract to supply staff to this organisation. Our consultant Kim is a bright and bubbly young lady, and as I wrote in my letter of resignation, Kim is the best consultant we have ever had, always ready to assist the staff any way she can. Kim came bearing flowers on behalf of the agency, and presented me with a beautiful colourful bunch, and her best wishes for a happy retirement.
DSCF4414 More flowers, thanks Kim
I must admit that after morning tea my work output took a bit of a dive. But I think I deserve an easy morning, don’t you? At lunchtime I packed up the last of my belongings, said my goodbyes, dropped my door passes off at the office, and walked out for the last time. Any regrets? No way! Just think of all the places we will go in the caravan, and the adventures just waiting to happen. It’s time we turned into a pair of “Grey Nomads”.
PA151059 I don’t need these any more

2 comments:

Derek and Dot said...

We wish you both a long and happy retirement. When did we ever have time to work?

Jenny and Robin said...

Thanks for your good wishes. Robin has one more week of work then we will both be free as the birds!!