Success is getting what you want; happiness is liking what you get

Tuesday 28 June 2011

We hate gardening!

It is no secret that we are both very bad gardeners.  It is not that we don’t like it all looking nice, but it all gets away on us, I’m sad to say.  Too many weekends spent away in the caravan, I expect. I recently bought some plants to put in the pots on the back deck.  This sort of gardening I can cope with.  Pansies are flowering, anemones are growing nicely and  there are some spring bulbs which are poking their leaves through.
DSCF6477 Pots on the back deck
DSCF6478The hyacinths are starting to flower
But the never ending weeds shamed us into spending a little time in the garden recently.  Robin climbed up on a ladder to trim back the jasmine vine climbing up a trellis by the garage.  He rues the day I planted this small cutting, he often says, usually when he is wielding the pair of hedge cutters.  It grew rapidly from a small cutting to something that has taken over this end of the garage completely. 
DSCF6305 Attacking the climbing jasmine
Meanwhile I was on my hands and knees pulling out long weeds to discover these garden ornaments, two lizards and my hand painted little worm.  I remember going along to a class some years ago and it took me all morning to paint my little worm, and half of that time was spent in deciding on what colours to paint him!  Here they are ready and waiting for a good scrub with hot soapy water to rid them of all that grime.
DSCF6309
And what a difference that made.  The mosaic lizard looks like a different species now he has been cleaned up.  This was a Christmas gift several years ago and hand made by my crafty daughter Nicky.
DSCF6311 All sparkling clean now
We only weeded part of the back garden, I’m sad to say, so will have to get on with the rest of it shortly.  Then it all needs re-barking to keep the weeds down.  Have a look what we saw over the fence in our neighbour’s back yard.  We wouldn’t like to come across him hiding in the long weeds!
crocodile Look what we spotted over the fence

2 comments:

Katie said...

Crocodiles? For real?

Jenny and Robin said...

No crocs here in New Zealand, Katie, we let the Aussies keep them all in their country.