Success is getting what you want; happiness is liking what you get

Tuesday 14 June 2011

The Importance of being Earnest

The Lighthouse Cinema in Petone was showing this film. a “must see” for me.  Yes, I told Robin, I know I have  seen this play several times, but I need to go and see the film too.  After all, it is a classic, and in my opinion, is Oscar Wilde at his best.  Robin decided that he really didn’t need to see it again, and took himself down to Petone Beach to enjoy a leisurely hour with the Sunday paper. I climbed the stairs to Theatre Four and sat down with twenty or so others to enjoy the film.
DSCF6511 Lighthouse Cinema
This film was rather special, as it was filmed during a live performance at the American Airlines Theatre on Broadway, New York.  We were taken behind the scenes for an interview with Brian Bedford, who played the indomitable Lady Bracknell.  Brian Bedford also directs and the New York Post review states: “He is a master of the precise pause and the arched eyebrow, evoking laughter simply by dropping his voice and octave on a word”.
DSCF6512
The Importance of Being Earnest – A Trivial Comedy for Serious People, was first performed on 14 February 1895 at St James Theatre in London.  It is a farcical comedy in which two of the characters pretend to be other people in order to escape burdensome social obligations. Working within the social conventions of late Victorian London, the play's major theme is the  satire of Victorian ways. I just love the witty dialogue, the dramatic timing and pauses and the glorious words which flow so effortlessly.  The costumes were beautiful and serious Jack, masquerading as Earnest while in town, was wonderfully handsome.  No wonder this is one of Oscar Wilde's most enduringly popular plays.  And yes, I certainly would see another version, you can’t get too much of a classic, can you?

3 comments:

Laura said...

I've seen "Earnest" twice - once in Regents Park and also the most recent movie version but would definitely be up for seeing it again!

June said...

Also a favourite play/film of mine Jenny, I didn't notice it was on. Great cinema complex isn't it, almost like one's own lounge - I was there on Monday to see "Another year" - fabulous film. Unfortunately another viewer thought he was at home and proceeded to munch his way through a box of chippies!!

Katie said...

I love "Earnest"!!! :-)