Success is getting what you want; happiness is liking what you get

Saturday 4 August 2012

Cross words spoken in the dark

It was a dark and stormy night during the week and we were having words outside in the rain.  Robin was trying to back the caravan into it’s space beside the house.    This was certainly quite a different proposition than deftly manoeuvring the caravan into place in the daylight.   I peered down the side of the caravan in the pitch blackness trying to judge how close it was to the wall.  “You’re a bit  too close on that side”, I exclaimed as I went to have a closer look.  Robin wanted to know why I hadn’t brought a torch outside to help.  Mmm, I never thought of that, but I had donned one of his old white shirts over my dark clothing to stop me getting hit by a car while I was out on the road in the dark.  “You will have to turn a bit that way”, I advised waving my arm at him.   That wasn’t a good instruction at all.  Did I mean left or right, he demanded curtly.  I really meant my left, but what does that mean to him when he is driving backwards?  These things aren’t easy, and doing them in the dark is even worse - you can see why things got a bit heated!

Romany Rambler was returning home from the garage after some welding work on the back bumper.  Our friendly garage proprietor suggested that Robin bring the caravan down to the workshop after the close of the working day.  All the jobs of the day would have been completed by then, the customers would have collected their cars, and there would be room for our rig.  While we were away on our South Island trip, the welds on the back bumper had split, and the spare wheel had to be removed to lessen the weight on the fractured joints. 

It took a wee while for John to do the welding to his satisfaction.  Robin was advised to buy a can of  Fish Oil and squirt it into the gaps to keep the rust at bay.  This was not a job to do at night in the rain, and was attended to in the light of day. 

DSCF2326
DSCF2324
Now the bumper bar is fixed, the spare wheel is now re-mounted on the fitting.  We had been carrying it around in the back of the 4WD for the last month or two. 

No comments: