Success is getting what you want; happiness is liking what you get

Sunday 12 April 2020

A Different Easter in 2020

The the recent developments of the world wide Covid 19 pandemic, all our lives are so different these days.  Here in New Zealand we are in Level Four State of Emergency and halfway through a 4 week lockdown, with the message being “stay safe, stay home and save lives”.  Non essential travel is not permitted, and we must stay local.  So instead of packing the caravan and heading away for the Easter weekend, we are all listening to the rules, staying home and having a “Staycation”.  That doesn’t happen often – how long before we get “cabin fever” I wonder?  We have heard that some caravanners have been spending the night in their caravan without actually going away, safely on their property.  We might have to resort to that, if it all gets too much for us!

P1340484 

We are using different words and phrases too, and now know all about “staying in our bubble” with only with those in our household, and “social distancing”, staying at least 6 feet, 2 metres away from everyone else.  Add to that the fact that washing hands in soapy water should be taking 20 seconds – that’s two renditions of Happy Birthday to me as I’ve worked out, as I hum away to myself. On Good Friday a small group in our village practised social distancing as we met in the village green.  Taking our folding chairs along, and coffees or whatever else was fancied, we sat in the sunshine and chatted happily away, keeping our distance from each other.  Only those in couples sat closer together.

P1340460
Employing social distancing

Easter Saturday was a different day, as we had to drive up to Palmerston North Hospital (50km each way so out of our local area)  for an MRI appointment.  I made sure I had my hospital documents tucked safely away, as we were sure we would be stopped at a police checkpoint, which didn’t happen, as it turned out.  The mist was hovering over the farm land as we drove along the empty road.

P1340469
It was a beautiful calm morning

Getting into the hospital was a mission, but really, in this pandemic we don’t really mind all the extra precautions.  Robin had to remain in the car, and I answered health questions, sanitized my hands, and was sent on my way for my appointment.  Walking down the empty hospital corridors was a bit eerie, usually it is such a busy, bustling place.  Those who have had an MRI know what it’s all about – lie absolutely still  for half an hour, earmuffs on, face down and arms straight out over my head, in my case,  while the machine makes an absolute din, sounding rather like a jack hammer.

P1340479
MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) machine

On our way out of town we stopped at Davis Trading to get a few supplies.  Entry was very well organised, I thought.  Queued up outside on the marked lines, hand sanitizer, disposable gloves and fill  in the register as we get to the front of line, enter when another shopper exits to ensure only a few in the shop at any time.  I managed to get what I wanted, including a box of said gloves, they will be handy for any future trips out, I feel.  Sadly, there was an altercation outside when I was going though the checkout.  A rather large man tried to walk straight in, and refused to go to the end of the line and follow the safely procedures.  On being challenged he got rather aggressive and knocked over the table with sanitizer and gloves, abused the staff member seated outside manning the entry, and stormed off.  Why do some people think the rules don’t apply to them?

No sign of police road stops on the drive back home either, guess they are all busy at the popular holiday spots further north.  We had heard tales of people towing caravans (surely no one we know) and others  trying to get away to holiday homes – why oh why don’t these foolish people listen and do what they should. 

4 comments:

Bernice said...

Good luck with MRI results, and yes I understand all the vagaries of having a scan. Like you I have to venture out tomorrow for appointments with documented in hand just in case we get stopped. I think it may be some time before we are allowed to travel freely, but better to be safe than sorry. Best wishes

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

I am never sure why people don't think the rules apply to them, but it does seem to be quite a prevalent view at different times, Jenny. A right pain, isn't it?

We are quite happy staying in our bubble at home, and if we needed a change of scene, we can go and sleep in the motorhome for a night!

And while we cannot go to the UK this year, I am looking forward to touring more of this beautiful place when the Alert Level is lowered to allow that.

Big virtual hugs, Marilyn

Janice said...

It was quite a different Easter wasn’t it. I’m glad your neighbours were all able to have a well spaced get together. I bet you are glad to have the MRI over and done with.

Kim Sharman said...

An MRI.....I hope everything is okay. If only everyone followed the rules then we will all get through these tricky times. I must say the scenery on the way to Palmerston is beautiful.