Success is getting what you want; happiness is liking what you get

Wednesday 26 October 2022

Just Visiting

There was no caravan club rally for us over the long Labour Day weekend as Robin hasn't yet been cleared for driving following his knee replacement surgery.  Instead, we did a day trip as visitors to the rally, held at Woodville Race Course.  As the designated driver while Robin is recovering, I was tasked with driving up and over the Saddle Road on Saturday.  Although I have travelled this hilly windy road many times as a passenger, this was the first time I had actually driven over it myself.

P1000649

We arrived in time for arriving for Morning Tea, and had brought up cream sponges to share with our caravan buddies, a little treat to celebrate my birthday the next day.  President Owen had a duty to perform, welcoming our newest members Maureen and Russell into our club.

P1000644

Welcome to Russell and Maureen

One of the reasons we drove up to this rally was for Robin to attend the committee meeting.  Those not on the committee left them to it, set up our folding chairs outside and enjoyed the lovely warm sunshine.  As usual, there was plenty to chat about, this and that, always an interesting range of subjects to discuss.  The committee meeting finished at lunch time, so out came our packed lunch, something I prepared earlier, as the saying goes.  This was also enjoyed outside.

P1000646P1000647

We said our goodbyes at about 2.30pm and headed for home, leaving them to enjoy their rally weekend.  I certainly had something to take away from our visit, a sunburnt nose and face after the few hours I spent sitting outside.  It’s easy to forget just how fierce our New Zealand sun can be.

2 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

That hill road has spectacular views, doesn't it?
I am pleased you drove it - always good to keep your hand in with driving, I think, Jenny.
We have a friend I keep nagging to drive their motorhome - she's not having it ... But not towing the caravan is a bit of a different story, I reckon. I'd be happy to tow it, but not necessarily over that road as my first outing. Would have to hand over reversing it to someone who had the necessary skill! That's something I've not mastered.
Cheers, Mxx

Janice said...

It’s good you were still able to pop in and visit the rally. There hasn’t been much chance to get a burnt nose over here as yet, as the weather continues to be somewhat damp.