Success is getting what you want; happiness is liking what you get

Sunday 4 July 2021

Offal Night

Does that send shivers down your spine?  We were invited out by friends Derek and Dot on Friday night to have a meal at the local RSA, Returned Services Association, to indulge in one of their regular Offal Night offerings.  We don’t eat offal but were assured that other things were on the menu as well.

On offer for the brave were Lambs Fry and Bacon, Tripe and Onions, and something rather frightening called a Mixed Offal Plate, goodness knows what was served up for that!  Luckily there was Steak and Kidney Pie and Fish and Chips as well too choose from.  Derek chose lambs fry and bacon, but mentioned the bacon seemed to be missing, and Dot had her taste buds happy with tripe and onions.  Robin and I both chose the steak and kidney pie, which was delicious.

P1020393

Steak and Kidney Pie

As we were having a night off from cooking, we all indulged in dessert as well.  Ice cream sundaes and spiced apple and walnut cake (huge portion) were devoured with gusto.  It was a nice night out and we all enjoyed our meals, thanks Derek and Dot for inviting us to join you.

P1020397

The Polar Blast has been and gone and we have had some lovely calm and sunny days, cooler temps starting with frosty mornings.  Thank goodness for the heat pump.  There is a sprinkling of snow on the Tararua Ranges behind our home, no doubt there will be heavier falls as the winter season continues.

2 comments:

Dave Gibb said...

ooohhh... Yum!!! Lambs Fry and Bacon is awesome and Tripe and Onions was a staple in our diet when I was much younger... Lambs Fry can be challenging to cook without drying it out too much but done properly is a great taste. I love them both..

Janice said...

We often had offal served up when I was a kid. Steak and kidney pie. My brother and I used to put all the kidney to the side....not to reject it, but to see who got the most pieces. We also enjoyed lambs fry and bacon and crumbed brains and bacon. That was my favourite. I never enjoyed tripe. Mum always made brawn for Christmas. She’d buy half a pigs head, but would make sure the butcher removed the eye. The brawn was yummy. She also made pressed lambs tongue, but I never liked the texture of it. Most people now turn their nose up at offal, but I suppose as both my parents grew up in The Depression, at the time they appreciated any food and added flavouring to make it more palatable. I must say, that apart from the occasional steak and kidney pie, I don’t cook any offal.