Success is getting what you want; happiness is liking what you get

Friday 28 May 2021

A Little Adventure

Our adventure started with a caravan stay in NZMCA park in Plimmerton. The caravan was parked here for several days while I had my spinal op in Wellington Hospital.  This made for a much shorter drive for Robin when he came visiting each day.

P1020349

Staying at Plimmerton

The six hour operation went well, the surgeon told us.  Must say that the neurosurgical team were so professional and certainly inspired confidence. I was hooked up to all sorts of equipment,  and the nursing care was excellent.  Although it was difficult to lay prone on my tummy for some time each day.

P1020352 P1020353

After several days Robin moved the caravan to Lower Hutt to stay at our friends Owen and Helen.  This cut down the travel time a bit more for him.   After seven days in Wellington Hospital there was another adventure ahead – an ambulance ride up to Palmerston North Hospital.  I was taken down to the Transit Lounge – think of a small, rather busy railway station.  Wheelchairs and beds were wheeled in, and those who could walk were seated around, waiting to be collected by family and friends.  Patients who were moving on to another hospital facility, as I was, waited patiently for the ambulances to arrive.  It was a two hour drive in the ambulance, bounce, bounce, and I could keep up with the journey peeping through the glass paneled rear door.

On day three the physios, OT staff and doctors were happy for me to return home, with a walker to help out while I got my mobility back.    Gemma decided that since I had left her for a while, she would greet me on her terms!  On the first night back I tottered outside to get a glimpse at the blood moon, what a sight that was.  Home is the best place to recover.

P1020360


2 comments:

Janice said...

It’s good to hear that all went well and you are back home and on the road to recovery. Six hours is a pretty long time to be in surgery. Take care and I reckon Robin and Gemma will look after you well.

Tom and Jan said...

All the best for the recovery Jenny

Tom & Jan