Success is getting what you want; happiness is liking what you get

Wednesday 14 August 2013

The first cut

Today was one of those mornings where we wanted to say to the workmen, “oh, please be careful”.  Our brand new lawn was getting it’s first mowing.  Are those tender blades of grass ready to be chewed to pieces by that rough and ready motor mower?  And what about those big heavy boots walking all over our the virgin lawn?  I’m not sure we are ready for this just yet.  “Be gentle” we wanted to say, “remember that this is the first time”.  But were the guys listening?  Nope – they both had their earmuffs on.  This was just like my toddler’s first haircut a life time ago.

P8140011 It’s a big occasion, the very first lawn mowing session

Son  Michael was a year old and I took him to  a real barber, the only place where boys got their hair cut in days gone by.  He was sat up on the big scary chair and wailed the whole time while the barber snipped his baby’s locks off.  Then out came the electric cutters to trim up the back of his hair.  Michael’s little lips quivered, he sobbed, and I got all teary.  “Oh, please be gentle, this is his first time”.  Who was the most upset – him or me?  I wasn’t really ready after all to turn him into a boy, he was still my baby.

No comments: