Success is getting what you want; happiness is liking what you get

Saturday 24 November 2012

View from the Top

On our return home after visiting our friends Geoff and Pauline at Wainiomata yesterday, we stopped at the top of the hill to enjoy the view.  And what a glorious view it was. 

DSCF3422 The Lookout at the top of the hill

The view to the left shows Somes Island in the middle of Wellington Harbour, a large natural harbour, with views of Wellington city in the background.  The harbour was officially named Port Nicholson until it assumed its current name in the 1980s.

DSCF3423Wellington Harbour and Somes Island

This view shows the industrial area of Gracefield in the foreground, the Hutt River making it’s way into the sea, and Petone Beach and township.  The first European settlers to arrive by ship into Wellington landed at Petone beach on 22 January 1840.

DSCF3424Hutt River and Petone
DSCF3425Hutt Valley and housing on the Western hills

I can remember how excited I was as a young girl when my brother took my elder sister and I for a climb up the hill.  As we reached the top, I got my first glimpse of the sea, the river, the hills and tiny little buildings.  It was an amazing sight from a completely different perspective which I had never experienced before.  I really thought, at my young age, that I was seeing the whole wide world all at once! 

No comments: