Success is getting what you want; happiness is liking what you get

Wednesday 11 September 2013

First drive in the new car

I took my first “solo” drive in the new blue car yesterday.  After many years of happily driving  around suburbia in Lazuli it felt strange driving a different vehicle.  This one has six gears, for goodness sake, although I suspect 5 and 6 could well be for travelling on the open road.  I’m certainly not going to worry about them for a while.  Robin sent me on my way full of good advice.  The clutch pedal must be depressed when the motor is turned on or else the car will not start.   I should be able to remember that.  Starting off slowly, I drove carefully out of the village -  I wouldn’t want to knock over any of the other old folks who live here.  Luckily they were all inside their homes having a nice cup of tea and I didn’t see a soul as I went on my way.

It always takes a little while to get the feel of the gears, and most importantly, just how sensitive the brake pedal is.  Must admit it is an easy car to drive, and I parked up without mishap in the shopping centre car park.  Locking the car with the remote was a new experience for me, and off I went, shopping list in hand to complete a few purchases.  Out with the remote on my return, the lights flashed and I opened the door and climbed back in.  That was easy.

OK, I remembered to press the clutch pedal down, but why wont the key go in?  Perhaps I’m putting it in the wrong way?  No, it’s still not going in the key hole.  This is getting embarrassing, I really don’t want to get the cell phone out and ring Robin to come and rescue me on my first time out in the new car.  Then the penny dropped.  I was trying to start the little blue Toyota with the Landcruiser key.  Ooops, no wonder it wasn’t going to work.  Crisis over, and I was soon on my way home.  But we won’t tell Robin, will we?

3 comments:

Katie said...

LOL No we won't tell Robin! But this is how Liam accidentally found out he could run the riding mower with his car key. He didn't realize it until the lawn was finished. :-)

MDM Searle said...

It is always a great day picking up a new vehicle. Since my van was scrapped I have been using hire cars and am now used to all these new innovations. Once in the States I picked up a hire car and couldn't even find the key hole. It didn't have one - just press a button and the engine would start.

Jenny and Robin said...

Yes, different cars certainly have their little quirks. We hired a rental in Hawaii many years ago and as soon as you sat down the seat belts came quizzing down over your shoulder. Gave us an awful fright the first time it happened.