Success is getting what you want; happiness is liking what you get

Wednesday 16 March 2011

My hero – Neil Diamond

I would be the first to acknowledge that one’s taste is music is very individual, and we all have our favourites.  More often than not, these are from our earlier formative years, shaped by the music we listened to and loved in our teenage years.  So that is why the music of Elvis and The Beatles  is very dear to my heart.   I didn’t really discover the music of Neil Diamond for another decade when I listened in awe to his album “Hot August Night”.  The power of his voice, the skill of his song writing, the hot driving music interspersed with emotional ballads turned me into a Neil Diamond fan there and then.  We were lucky enough to attend his Auckland concert several years ago.

It was great news to hear that he has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in acknowledgement of his musical talent over the years.  Neil Diamond got his start as a Brill Building songwriter, writing "I'm A Believer" for the Monkees, among many other hits. His own career launched in 1966 with instant classics "Solitary Man" and "Cherry Cherry." By the early 1970s he was one of the most popular live acts on the road, a role he's maintained for the last four decades. He said of his induction: "I'm glad they did it before I'm dead."

No comments: