Success is getting what you want; happiness is liking what you get

Thursday 4 November 2010

Our Hi-tech Library Reopens

After being closed for two weeks, the Upper Hutt Library has reopened it’s doors with a “by invitation only”  function.   Invitations were sent to the “Top 100” borrowers, and volunteers who help with the running of the library.  I was one of the lucky ones who went along to the official opening last week.  Guess they know a keen library user when they see one.
DSCF4543My invitation
The opening started with a bit of mix and mingle.   I had met up with a lady I knew from going to Writing Group several years ago, so we were happy to sit and chat on one of the posh new couches.  A delicious morning tea was provided and we sipped our coffees and nibbled on a scone while we waited for the festivities to begin.
DSCF4547 The table laden with morning tea
Library manager Debbie Duncan spoke about how the changes all came about.  The library space was too small for current usage, and there was talk of building a brand new library.  However, costs for this would be prohibitive, and tenders were let to enlarge the existing library by “squaring up” the floor plan, and re-roofing the whole structure.  The overall space has increased by 30% and the children’s library is now 75% larger.  A lounge area with comfortable couches entice people to sit, relax, and read awhile, and even buy a hot drink from the newly installed coffee machine.  This lounge area will be used for the various monthly groups which meet, such as the Book Discussion Group which I now attend.
DSCF4549 Library manager Debbie still bubbling after the official opening
New innovations include a microchip embedded in all books, (radio frequency identification) allowing users to check their own books in and out.  A bit like self scanning groceries at the supermarket.  Twelve more computers have been installed for low cost usage, and free WIFI is available for people who take their own lap tops to the library.  Much of the the library shelving has been lowered, and changes made with books of similar interest now grouped together.  The librarians explained how the new systems worked, and even took me on a “behind the scenes” look at the library.  My big question was, “where to find my favourite sort of novels about serial killers?”  “Right here”, she said, pointing out exactly which shelving units they were on.  Thank goodness, I don’t want to be getting withdrawal symptoms now, do I?
DSCF4551 New frontage on the library

1 comment:

Leeann said...

Oh no you are too much like me I love serial killer books too. Have you read Micheal Conolly's books? I really like them, I think I started with 'The Poet'. And I like Lee Child books too not serial killers but crime!